Erf size: 1526 ha
House size: 1550 m2
The Karoo desert holds a special kind of African charm. Far from the concrete and hurry of urban life, this expanse of space, bountiful earth and seemingly infinite sky offers its guests an unrivaled tranquillity.
In the heart of this thriving landscape rests The Olive Farm, a 1600 hectare olive oil-producing farm. With the original farmhouses’ foundations dating back to 1810, the farm exudes a special sense of history, of age-old South African tradition. The farm is accessed from the tarred R407 just 35 kilometers from the quaint town of Prince Albert and near to the hamlet of Klaarstroom, and a 90 minute drive from George Airport which has daily links to Cape Town and Johannesburg. On two separate titles, the estate is 1526 hectares in extent, with the entire southern boundary of the property adjacent to the pristine Swartberg Nature Reserve.
Accommodation is provided in numerous elegantly decorated buildings, the most notable of which are two immaculately restored and preserved Victorian homesteads. Each has been sensitively modernized and upgraded, while still retaining their respective heritage footprints. Additional accommodation is provided in five cottages, each with one or two bedrooms.
The estate could easily be developed further into a retreat or wellness centre. Agricultural activities are numerous, and include +-16000 olive trees over 25 irrigated hectares, with cultivars suited to the Karoo climate. The estate has its own imported olive press and associated cellar equipment, and is able to produce its own range of boutique products in addition to the olive oil, under the estate’s own label.
The estate enjoys an abundance of water supplied from the Groot Rivier source in the Swartberg mountain range above the property, and the water can be stored in seven dams. Quite simply a whole world in one!
Erf Size: 1526 hectares (with river running through property)
Accommodation (rated 5 star on TripAdvisor):
- Manor House (450m2) – 4 bedrooms
- Farmhouse (300m2) – 3 bedrooms
- Paradys House (350m2) – 3 bedrooms
- 5 cottages (450m2)
– Library Cottage – 2 bedrooms
– Cook’s Cottage – 2 bedrooms
– Hannes Cottage – 1 bedroom
– Artist’s Cottage – 1 bedroom
– Birdwatcher’s Cottage – 1 bedroom
- 25 ha, potential to deliver 50 tons pa
- 16,000 trees
- Frantoio (100m2)
- Imported olive press and associated machinery
- Abundant water with certified water rights
- Full irrigation reticulation, filters and pump stations
- First farm at the source of the Groot Rivier
- 250 million litres per annum registered (additional can be registered if needed)
- Storage in seven dams
Game and grazing:
- Many springbok and kudu with potential to add various other species
- Kudu fencing
- 7 Ha of grazing for livestock (sheep and cattle), grazing land could be increased to over 500 Ha
- 2 x 80KW power supplies from Eskom
- 2 title deeds (erven) allowing further versatility in buildings and accommodation
- 2 Barns (800m2)
- Covered vegetable garden, cow shed and other shaded areas (500 m2)